Yesterday my garage became far less empty with the visit to the parent’s farm.
Last night I disassembled one of the carbs I got at the farm and recovered one very important piece that was broken in the car, a float retainer clip. I popped it into the car and gave it a whirl. No noticeable difference in operation, but one less thing broken on the car!
I went through some other things last night, but I’m still dealing with an annoying cold and found myself tucked into bed at an unusually early hour.
Today, I decided it was time to find a matching fuel pump and replace the one in the 1947.
I brought home a box of fuel pumps so the likelihood of me finding an identical replacement was high, so it didn’t take long until I found a match.
I started playing with the box find and felt that it was in reasonable shape and appeared to be in operating condition. Once I got the existing pump off of the car I then started to A/B compare them and noticed that the existing pump actually seemed to operate better. But when I tipped it on it’s side, a ton of debris came out. I then used the box pump as a test dummy and started disassembly. I quickly found out how to clean the Dodge pump of its debris and decided it was still the better of the two, so I put it back in the car, all cleaned up and ready for gasoline.
Now, I lack almost all tools required to work on cars, and everything I do have is basically loaner gear from my brother Don, so I measured gas flow using my eyeballs. I have an inline fuel filter hooked up and I would start the engine and look at the flow through the filter to see how much gas went through the filter. Yesterday it was hardly trickling. So tonight I fired up the Dodge and ran to the filter to give it another look. The trickle had turned into a steady flow. Still probably not what I need, but an improvement. My brain tells me that the little inline filter should get completely filled with gasoline, but mine stays half full.
I ran to the throttle again and turned off the choke, revved it up a couple times and it didn’t try to immediately bog out and stall. This makes me think the fuel pump is the center of a few of my major problems right now(number 1 being that i need the choke out to drive, number 2 that after 10 minutes of driving, the car starts acting like it is running out of gas)
I had to shut her off right away because of one last thing today.
The engine could really use a rebuild. I’d like to tackle it myself, but not until I have either #1 tons of money or #2 tons of warm space to work on it. I learned that the head gasket leaks water when the engine is cooling down. It’s an old copper gasket, but at the time I felt it was in good shape and I would use it again. I probably should have purchased a new fancy gasket when I put the head back on, but I’ll save that for next time the head comes off.
What I did this afternoon was use one of those ‘head gasket in a can’ products. I poured a chunky mixture of copper and string and goop into the radiator and ran the motor in spurts according to the directions. After the whole ordeal was done, the gasket did stop leaking, but I wonder for how long. I also wonder what other side effects the product will have on the cooling system.
I don’t find myself particularly concerned though as I should mention again that the engine does need to be rebuilt.
So tomorrow afternoon the cure time should be complete for that gasket in a can mumbo jumbo. I’m going to flush the system one more time and fill her up with water to give it a whirl around the block. Actually, I’m going to drive it until I am confident that my fuel starvation problems are still there, or have been solved by my fuel pump cleaning. Then hopefully I’ll shut her off and the only thing that’ll come out of the engine is motor oil.
But you can always add more oil.