I’m still trying to figure out how Apple’s Photostream feature on my Windows computer stopped working. This has caused me to stumble with new posts. I mean, its not like uploading photos is more difficult than it was. I just have to use an old fashioned cord now, instead of radio waves.
Anywho. The visit from Myrna and Donald yesterday got me motivated again, despite an annoying and lingering cold.
We tried a new fan belt, nope, wrong size. We bought some flex pipe for the exhaust, nope my hack saw wasn’t going to cut it(pun intended). Seems the only real accomplishment was the oil change yesterday. That’s ok. It was a great day indeed.
I forgot to mention Donald brought over some really old magazine ads for 1948 Dodge coupes. These were gifts from our friend Tim Asleson. They’re so awesome. He found one for me and one for Myrna. Along with a half dozen Jeep ones for Don. Reminds me of the first time I found an old advertisement for my 1980 Celica. So fun to see how companies advertise their products.
Don also had tucked away at his home a large box of valve rings and main bearings for the 1947. These will be very important if and when a rebuild is required. But that will definitely be saved for another day.
Friday was another day spent recuperating from a cold and not really trying to overwork myself. But something had to be done.
I acquired a reciprocating saw which used the same battery pack as my weed whip(hey if its good enough to whip my weeds into shape, it must be good enough to cut sheet metal.) I then tackled the exhaust leak.
I tore through the old pipe and finally this giant hole combined with pipe fell from the car. It appears that the exhaust in this car consists of a muffler from … something, a piece of standard home metal pipe, coat hangers and a lot of luck. The luck has been keeping everything together for all these years, but mixed in with all that luck were a lot of fumes. Mostly entering through the gaping holes in the floor boards and going straight into the noses of the passengers of the car. And being the mechanic that I am not, I just cleaned out a path and attached a nice foot long portion of flex pipe between my two cuts and clamped them in place. I finished off the task by dabbing the muffler with some muffler sealer and wiped my hands clean of this situation for the time being.
A brief starting of the car was rewarding as suddenly the car roared like a lion, instead of the previous sound of a herd of cattle being chased by a P-51 Mustang.
Well, I did my work thing tonight and when I got home I had to do something else. So I decided to try my hand at upholstery cleaning. The upholstery that remains is original and in different levels of light actually looks pretty awesome. Aside from the rips and the sun fading some of it is quite salvageable. At least for patterns and ideas. I used a mixture of hot water and patience and ended up with a waste container that was pleasantly dirty as dirt.
Well, time to call it a night.